Wellbeing & Support

Creating together

Wellbeing & Support

Spotlight on… ResLife and Leaving Newcastle

ResLife aims to support all of our students within University-owned and managed partnership accommodation to make your first year in University halls the best it can be as you make the transition into higher education, independent living and creating new friendships.

As you some to the end of the academic year, there are certain things you need to do when leaving our accommodation and these are all explained in the Terms and Conditions booklet. You can also download our Departure Checklist‌ to make sure you’ve done everything. We will send you an email with some useful information about what’s going to happen, but please do chat to your local reception if you have any questions.


Donating unwanted items

When preparing to move out of your accommodation, you might find items you no longer need which could have a second life. Every year, we team up with the British Heart Foundation to collect these items and pass them on to those in need. We also work with local food banks to collect unopened, long-life food items (excluding fresh and frozen items and anything that is out of date).

The Students’ Union also runs the Leave Newcastle Happy campaign which aims to reduce the amount of things that go to landfill every summer.

If you are university managed accommodation, the ResLife team are here to help with donations. Given the pandemic the process has changed slightly, and this year the ResLife team will leave large boxes at drop off points. They will empty the boxes and store items centrally storage until the British Heart Foundation are ready to collect.

If you leave any unopened non-perishables in your flat, the ResLife team will deliver the food to a food bank.


What can I donate?

There’s lots of things you can donate, as long as it’s not one of the following:

  • Broken or dirty items
  • Duvets
  • Pillows
  • Knives
  • Hangers
  • Bikes
  • Helmets

You can read more about how to donate items, including what you can and can’t donate, here.

If you are not in university-managed accommodation, you can read more about the Students’ Union top tips on moving out here. Remember that if you need any advice regarding accommodation matters, before or after moving out, you can contact the Student Advice Centre.


Keep on track with your deposit returns

How to give yourself the best chance of getting the full amount back

  • If you are preparing to move out clean and tidy the property and evidence it before you leave and take many date stamped pictures.
  • Dig out your Inventory/Check-in from the start of the tenancy and compare this to the Inventory/Check-out report at the end of the tenancy.
  • If you have left already, hopefully you remembered to take a record of how you left it.
  • In shared houses in joint tenancies, you need to ensure the full property was handed back clean not just your room. For shared houses with a contract just for your room you need to ensure your room was clean and tidy and communal areas.
  • It’s useful to have evidence of utility accounts that have been paid and have no amounts owing. Technically any debt will follow you but contracts often require this and it could slow down your deposit claim.

How to claim your money back

  • Contact your landlord/agent and request the deposit return.
  • If they want to make deductions, consider if they are fair and agree a settlement if possible.
  • If you agree deductions are fair but disagree with the amount, or just disagree that any amount should be taken try to negotiate on this. If you cannot agree, you can ask the scheme to adjudicate.
  • You don’t have to wait for the agent to raise the dispute with the scheme. You can start this process.

If you have queries or concerns, book an appointment at our Student Advice Centre

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *